Life Is Not Measured By the Number of Breaths We Take, But By the Moments That Take Our Breath Away!

Friday, June 17, 2016

Ding-Dong...

Nope, it wasn't Avon, but it was the Fed Ex man.

Yesterday afternoon I was in my office taking an online class when the doorbell rang. The man said, "Catherine?" and I replied "Yes?" Then he handed me a tall, skinny white box that I first had to sign for before I could claim it as mine. I hadn't ordered anything Fed Ex; what could it be?

Unfortunately, I couldn't open it right away because I had to get back to class...the class was about marketing on Facebook. Heaven knows I need that information...Facebook isn't the easiest to figure out!

Anyway, when my class was finished, I opened my "surprise" package. Oh my, it was from my daughter who is stationed in Hawaii!

Inside the box was a live orchid plant!



I love plants, but I have never owned an orchid. From what I have read, it is not the easiest plant to grow, but what the heck, I am willing to give it a try! Hopefully, it will still be alive when my daughter visits me in the fall...fingers crossed.

According to the directions I found online, it needs 60-70 per cent humidity to flower. Well, there is my first problem! My home isn't exactly located in a tropical paradise! However, the online information said that I can mist each day and place the potted plant in a dish with stones and a little water. That is probably doable.

The article also suggested that the plant needs fertilizer. I just bought some fertilizer for my Sabi Star Sahara Desert Gemini Rose plants (which by the way are doing very well) so I should be able to use it on my orchid as well.

Other than that, some light and some prayers are all I need to grow my orchid!

Since I love taking pictures, I will document my orchid's progress so I can show my daughter that at least I tried even if her beautiful gift is not still alive by the time she gets here!


No comments:

Post a Comment